596 Acres * * Fiscal Sponsor: Fund for the City of New York. 16 Beaver Street 4th Floor, Studio 1 New York, NY 10004 http://596acres.org
We build online organizing platforms for land access advocates and facilitators. In New York City we are land access advocates and use one of our platforms.
We started in Brooklyn. Hundreds of acres of vacant public land are hidden in plain sight behind chain-link fences in New York City, concentrated in neighborhoods disproportionately deprived of beneficial land uses. We are building the tools for communities to open all these rusty fences and the opportunities within them to improve the areas they live in.
596 Acres creates tools to help neighbors find the lot in their lives by:
(1) making municipal information available online and on the ground (e.g. by placing signs on vacant public land that explain a lot’s status and steps that the community can take to be able to use this land);
(2) providing education about city government and ways to participate in decisions that shape neighborhoods;
(3) assisting communities with legal support and campaign-development on land use issues;
(4) maintaining a network that allows communities to share knowledge and relationships with decision-makers;
(5) working with groups after they get access to land to build sustainable community governance as they become stewards of a public and inclusive resource; and
(6) advocating for municipal agencies to increase participatory decision-making surrounding public resources.
*All donations made to 596 Acres will be sent to their fiscal agent Fund for the City of New York.